Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace.

Sunday 2 March 2014

Belgian Waffle Cookies

When I was younger I didn't crave or like sweets, especially chocolate but overtime I've developed a sweet tooth. Admittedly, I am always trying to make healthier sweets (which usually involves other alternatives to processed white sugar such as bananas, apple sauce or dates OR honey, maple syrup or cane sugar, etc.). Yes, I have tried Stevia but do not like it, unfortunately. However, I am willing to try it again if someone has a specific brand or way of cooking with it that they enjoy (post below). This weekend I decided I wanted to try and create my own belgian waffle cookie creation for two reasons:
  1. Delicious
  2. Easy
Since these delicious treats consist mainly of sugar, butter and flour I figured they would be an easy recipe to create a 'healthier' version and to kick off my blog. 

Belgian Waffle Cookies

They turned out great. I used coconut oil to replace the butter (I don't have a problem with butter but don't want to eat large amounts of it at a time). spelt flour to replace all purpose white flour and (less) cane sugar instead of refined white sugar (I believe honey, maple syrup or Stevia could be used for the sweetner also). 

Belgian Waffle Cookies (yields approx. 15)
  • 100 g (less than 1/2 cup) coconut oil
  • 200 g (3/4 - 1 cup) spelt flour
  • 118 g (approx. 1/2 cup but could use less) cane sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 eggs
Melt coconut oil over low/medium heat. Add spelt flour, cane sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract and salt to mixing bowl. Mix on low and slowly add the eggs. Once eggs have been added mix for 1 minute. Slowly add the coconut oil until well combined (initially it will look like it won't combine but it will, trust me) . Put bowl in fridge for at least 1 hour. Roll dough into small balls while waffle iron is heating (I sprayed mine with olive oil). Add ball mixture to waffle iron (I was able to do two at a time) and cook until golden brown (approx. same time as a waffle). Cool on cooling rack. Enjoy!

Blog Question:
What's your favourite dessert and do you have a 'healthier' version that tastes great also?

2 comments:

  1. reason 3 - super adorable! I Love them. Now i just need to get a waffle iron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my waffle iron! There are so many things you can make with them (besides waffles). I'm sure you can pick one up for a cheap price at a second hand shop. :)

      Delete